Saturday, January 25, 2014

A Day in the Snow

This has certainly been a very cold and snowy winter.  But, we haven't gotten a lot of snowfall all at once. Today, we awoke to beautiful flakes falling from the sky.  It fell throughout the day, leaving us with powdery mounds to work and play in.  The animals didn't seem to mind, nor did we.  Some of the critters actually love the white stuff, as do the children. 
 
"Good morning piglets" Each morning I find these little sausages covered in straw, keeping warm under the lamp.  I love coming out to these porkers.  It won't be long until they stink and try to escape.  I'm loving these easy pig days.
Poor things, I was trying to sneak a picture of them buried, when I accidently scared them.  They gave me a startled "snort", then went on with their usual business....eating and sleeping and causing trouble.  
Felix loves snow.  I love his thick creamy yarn-to-be hanging from his sides. He's a digger, digging for precious green treasure.
These crazy girls eagerly wait by the coop, each morning begging and maaaaing to get in.  Can't you tell by Eliza's tongue?!  Or, maybe she's catching snowflakes. "No goats allowed" Silly girls squeeze through my legs trying to get to the forbidden treasure.....chicken food. 



Felix wants scratches.  He's friendly and lovable and always seeking affection, or grain, or scratches.  Hmmm, maybe he's using us for food and scratches. 
Midmorning, Da and I took a walk. Walking through the woods is beautiful with snow on the ground and on the trees.  It's even better when I have a "date" with me.  Anyone else still take time for dates with your man? 
Wheatons are snow-crazy.  Abby rolls, runs, jumps and goes nutty in this stuff. Then she comes into the house and shakes little iceballs all around. 


We were surprised to find a Robin hanging out in the woods. 
Meanwhile, the boys dug the cars out of the snow.
Where's the drive?  We took a quick trip to town, enjoying the snowfall and views along the way.
 Once back home, the guys built a fire, while I cooked supper and put animals to bed.

We finished Saturday with snow ice cream.  Who doesn't like ice cream on a cold snowy day?!
 
If it's going to be cold and wintery, bring on the snow.  However, I am looking forward to warm days and sunshine, gardens and baby goats, clothes on the line and kids outside. Today was a good day!
 
Here's the link to snow ice cream.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment