Wednesday, May 7, 2014

O'Broody Duck

had a feeling that someone was missing. We have lots of chickens and one duck. It's hard to keep track of everyone. Walking around the property, doing chores, I realized Drizzle was missing. I also hadn't been able to find those pretty Americana eggs. Was I missing a chicken too? "That silly little chicken must be laying her eggs somewhere secret", I thought. That was until I stumbled upon this. 
Two things were realized. 1 the duck wasn't laying the big huge eggs...poor leghorn chicken. 2 those pretty olive eggs were not the americauna's. That explains why they were always so dirty. 
So much confusion....I know. Apparently, I thought Drizzle's eggs were chicken eggs and the chicken eggs were hers. I'm so glad she corrected me.
Now, we have a moody brooder without fertilized eggs.
I am happy to know for certain that we have duck eggs.....and I know which ones they are.
Poor Drizzle. Either she needs a husband, or wooden eggs. She is not thrilled to be kicked off the nest with eggs removed.
Meanwhile, Ginger has been sitting on eggs. We're keeping an eye on her. I'm not exactly sure when she first sat, but she should have chicks any day. She is a sweet hen who broods every year. Unfortunately, we haven't kept roosters around for her to hatch eggs. Now, we have two. I think she's thankful.
I hope we can share chick pictures within the next week or so.
What's happening around your home? Gardening? Babies? Adventures? I love to hear about it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment