Friday, May 31, 2013

Sheep Shearing

It has been hot the past couple weeks.  Lucky for the sheep, we had the shearer come out and remove their fleeces.  They were not thrilled about the whole process, but did well once it was their turn.  It is amazing how quick the sheep are sheared.  It takes me over and hour to shave my dog. 
Tiptoe waited paitently for her turn.  She is such a sweet little ewe.
 
 
Their fleeces were a bit stickier then they should have been.  There are several reasons for this.  We are hoping that next years shearing turns out a bit better.  A couple of the girls were not smooth once sheared, but the others looked great. 
 Waiting to be skirted and washed and spun....oh boy!  I am clueless.  So, into the bags the fleece go, until we can get to picking off all the dirt, grass, and yuck.  Poor little Tintin was very confused about his "mama" laying out as a wool rug.
 Eli will make him feel better and take him to his real mama.
 
 Sheep shearing is becoming a lost trade.  If your children are interested in picking up a skill that will earn them extra cash as they get older, check out sheep shearing.  I am interested in learning myself, especially if we can start shearing our own. Maybe one of my children will learn with me.

No comments:

Post a Comment