Thursday, December 12, 2013

It Started with Bacon

Our kids love to cook!  They have been "helping" since the day they were born.  Sitting in the sling absorbing the sights and smells, to sitting on the counter tasting and touching all within reach, to stirring, mixing and creating their own concoctions.  These kids have always been a part of the daily cooking process.  Some days, they get carried away and make huge messes.  Other days, they eagerly help and clean up after themselves.  I believe it is important for children to help in the kitchen.  My boys will grow knowing how to prepare nutritious meals.  Who knows, maybe they'll want to be chefs.  My daughter will be able to prepare meals and manage her kitchen with ease.  But, most importantly, I am building relationships with my children.

It's easier to do it ourselves. Easier to clean as we go and enjoy the quietness.  But, the benefits of having them in the kitchen, by your side, outweighs the quietness.  Honestly, I occasionally distract my children with books, outside play or whatever, for a moment of quiet time in the kitchen.  We all need that.  But, we also need our children by our sides.

With that in mind.....it started with bacon!  I asked if any of my kitchen apprentices would like to make bacon for breakfast.  Two eager little boys jumped on the opportunity.  Who doesn't love bacon?!  Around lunch time, I smelled the bacon grease cooking. Warning!  These monkeys are supposed to ask permission before turning on the stove.  We might just have to go over the kitchen rules again.  Samuel and Eli would like to share what they did with that bacon grease.
Here's Samuel:

I love cooking. It is one of my favorite hobbies because it is interesting. First I made bacon and when I was done I saw bacon grease on the stove. And I thought "hmmm I think I could do something with that". Then I brought up an idea. I could use it for making potato chips. So I turned the heat up to 5 and put the potatoes on.  Samuel is using a Pampered Chef slicer to slice his potatoes

Next, I flipped the potatoes and cooked them till they turned light brown.  They also added salt
Then, I laid them out till ALL the grease was off.
Finally they were done and now we could eat them.
Yum!


1 comment: