Friday, December 6, 2013

Memory Tree

This year, I was determined to have the children make decorations for the tree instead of pulling all the boxes from the basement. The children were determined to pull everything out. I am really glad they talked me into it. Not only are we making memories together, I am reminded of memories of the past. Each of the ornaments on our tree hold a special place in my heart.  Most are crafted by children. Some by my children, others by children I have taught in the past, or by children I used to babysit. Our tree may look messy and mismatched,but I wouldn't have it any other way.
There are memories from high school and a crafty cheer coach.
   
Memories of a beautiful grandma who recently passed. Every year, from birth to teen years, Grandma gave each of her grandchildren a department store ornament. 
   
Tree trimming makes for fun family time and great memories.
   
There are ornaments from dear friends. Ornament exchanges and Ornaments when a child had not yet entered our family.
   
Ornaments from another grandmother passed. Beautiful memories of a beautiful lady.
   
Pictures of my babies, when they were really babies.
   
Reminders of dear children I had cared for in my home and others I taught in school.
   
Handmade from my babies. The collection grows each year.
   
My childhood memories of our Christmas trees came from the crafty school ornanments my siblings and I contributed to our parents' and grandparents' trees. As we grew, those panty hose bells and pipe cleaner reindeer hung on the trees for years. As children grow and move away, the trees gradually change from beautifully-messy to beautifully cooridinated, with matching garland, bells and bows. The memories get passed on to the next generation. I treasure those memories and I hope my children grow to treasure their messy home-made trees as well.

What kind of ornaments cover your tree?

No comments:

Post a Comment